Taking place in Sun Valley, Idaho in the days leading up to the 2020 Sun Valley Film Festival (March 18-22), the High Scribe competition offers four finalists exclusive residency during the festival.
2020 RESIDENCY (NEW!)
Submittable and the Sun Valley Film Festival are excited to announce the 2020 High Scribe competition now includes a screenwriters’ residency with Academy Award-winning writer and SVSLab host, Stephen Gaghan (Traffic, Syriana). All four finalists will receive:
- Filmmaker's Pass
- 5 nights lodging, checking-in March 17, checking-out March 22
- $500 travel stipend
- $200 food stipend
- Mentorship by established screenwriters, including personalized face time with Academy Award winner Stephen Gaghan, and party invitations
One finalist will walk away the winner of the High Scribe Award sponsored by Submittable. The High Scribe winner receives invaluable career mentoring from top industry experts.
The 2020 High Scribe judge is award-winning producer Jennifer Todd (Memento, Across the Universe, Jason Bourne).
Past hosts and mentors have included Academy Award winner David Seidler (The King’s Speech), Academy Award winners Nat Faxon and Jim Rash (The Descendants), Academy Award nominees Melisa Wallack and Craig Borten (Dallas Buyers Club), Academy Award nominee Phil Johnston (Zootopia, Wreck-it Ralph), Will McCormack (Toy Story 4), Chris Moore (Project Greenlight) and filmmaking legends Mark and Jay Duplass (Togetherness).
The High Scribe screenplay competition finalists were Witnesses by David Eisenberg and Hon Higgins, Clare by Lauren Minnerath, and The Graveyard Shift by Max Andrew Dubinsky and Matthew Carpenter. The Graveyard Shift was awarded the 2019 High Scribe.
- Dec 16 – Regular Deadline Fee – $40
- Jan 16 – Late Deadline Fee – $50
- Feb 3 – Extended Late Fee – $60
- All submissions must be accompanied by a logline and a non-refundable entry fee.
- An artistic statement, resume, and bio is welcome but not required.
- Applicants must submit ONE (1) copy of their screenplay or PDF file. Submit the entire script.
- Multiple entries are permissible, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry and fee.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- All fees are nonrefundable.
- All works must be original and unproduced as of March 1st, 2020.
- Finalists will be notified in early March.